| Adventure day hiking up in the mountains!! |
The past two days we've experienced an incredible rainstorm that hasn't stopped and looks like it won't let up anytime soon. I have never heard rain fall so loudly in my life!! This also means no electricity, water, internet, etc. (And...no showers...and no COFFEE...)
But! Although the boys are going a little stir crazy (because we don't want them running around outside covered in mud, since they can't shower afterward), it's reminded me how little I actually need and what things feel like 'needs' but are really just blessings I've been accustomed to.
Like running water. Electricity. A pot of coffee in the morning. Being able to do laundry without it depending on the weather. Flushing the toilet. Showering whenever I want. Actually, just having a working shower at all. And, all my food in the fridge not going bad because we've had no electricity for almost 2 days.
And during the past two days, it's given us an opportunity to spend time with the boys in the house all together and be creative. I taught the boys how to play "Telephone" and we all sat in a circle and played that last night with contagious laughter filling the living room. :) And telling scary stories in the dark before we go to bed. And cozying up with mugs full of hot tea wrapped up in blankets and just being together. Not doing anything, just being together.
Right now we're up at the hospital in an extra building (they have a huge generator that works) and the boys are doing some exercises and games like "duck, duck, goose" to spend some of their incredibly large amount of energy. Lisa and I brought our computers and phones to charge...and of course, the coffee pot and two mugs with some samitas to munch on while we're here. :) I'm glad Lisa and I are on the same page as far as the importance of a few cups of coffee in the morning... :)
![]() |
| Just to comfort my family, here's proof that I'm alive and well! haha :) |
![]() |
| Gelsin when he was sick..wearing the bear's sweater on his head... |
And I'm also thankful that our home didn't flood last night!! The river close to our house flooded all the way up to the gate in front of our house. Thank you Jesus for stopping the waters!
| Some of the boys playing marbles with their friends :) |
Last night I couldn't sleep, but sitting on my bed with this song on repeat: "You Know Me" song, I listened to the rain pour down all around my little casita. I've never heard rain so loud and so powerful--it sounded like buckets of little rocks being dumped onto my tin roof, continuously. And in my empty house, with the storm raging outside, I was still. I was still in the presence of our Father. And it's moments like these that I wish I could bottle up and save them for when I'm doubting or struggling down the road, and open the jar and taste the sweet, sweet rainstorm with just me and God and stillness. And rain. And his mercy pouring down, breaking through the clouds with no end in sight. It never stops. He is always good. He is always Holy. He is always the Almighty. He is always our Father. He is always my Savior.
And right now, I am enjoying this stillness. Even in the chaos of when our day doesn't go quite as we'd planned it to be. Or even when there's no showers, electricity, or coffee. Jesus welcomes us into His stillness. And it is my favorite place to rest.
And right now, I am enjoying this stillness. Even in the chaos of when our day doesn't go quite as we'd planned it to be. Or even when there's no showers, electricity, or coffee. Jesus welcomes us into His stillness. And it is my favorite place to rest.
| View from hiking WAY up high into the mountains with the boys last week |


Great to see your smile and hear that you are :"at home" away from home. Love to all.
ReplyDeleteJesus is truly everything! But yes, coffee does help :-)
ReplyDelete