Thursday, November 7, 2013

Falling in love...

I had no idea I could fall in love so quickly, or so deeply.
Today I spent time with the boys being "mom" for an afternoon (they only have school for a few hours in the morning & are home by noon) while Lisa went to the city to run a list of errands. I made sure all seven of them did their homework from school (they have one more week left), did their chores, got along with each other, etc.

Afterwards, I split them into two groups of three and taught each group their first English lesson. (First lesson with me at least--because some of them have had English lessons previously, but nothing consistent.)
I have never seen children SO eager to learn something new!! Especially since they don't learn English in school, they know this is an opportunity that not everyone receives. Although they are still pre-teen boys, (with an incredible amount of energy, especially when they're all together...) and it takes patience to teach them, I am so excited to see what they can learn in these next 6 weeks. They are already learning so much! And a lot of that is because of their own motivation to learn--THANK YOU for the prayers over this!! These boys welcomed me with open arms & actually ask me "Can we do the English lesson yet?!" during the afternoon...but part of me thinks that's just so they can avoid doing their chores... ;)

After an exhausting day, I sat down on the couch to join the boys watching "A Series of Unfortunate Events" (first time I had seen that in Spanish! haha) and Isaias (one of the twins) snuggled up to me and laid on my lap. These boys are so loving...When I wake up "buenos dias!" in a cute little voice is the first thing I hear. And the last thing I am blessed with before they go to bed is a huge hug from each of them and a smile I wish pictures could capture. And throughout the day I almost always have a boy at my side with his arm around my waist, or someone snuggled up next to me when I'm sitting down. Even if I'm just cruising through facebook, the boys just sit there and relax with me--and occasionally ask questions about some of the weird stuff you guys post. haha!!

Even in one of the most heartbreaking and suffering places in the world, there is hope. And God is doing BIG things here. With each child that comes to Him, is another for the Kingdom. And you can see it in their eyes--even though they struggle with things that break my heart for any child to experience or even have grown up around, they have so much joy. And you can see it in their eyes, and feel it in their hugs. :)

And I feel blessed to know them and to see them grow each day...And I've only been here TWO days. But hearing of their stories before I came on this trip, I already loved them before I even met them. But now that I'm living with them and experiencing life with them, I cherish every moment I have because at only two days in and feeling this way...I don't even want to think how quickly 6 weeks will go by and I will have to say "goodbye" to them until the next time I'm here.

Gelsin, Me, Evert, y Jose

Please pray for...
-The kids to do well on their last day of exams tomorrow!
-Continued protection for me, Lisa, and the boys.
-That Lisa would be filled with a supernatural amount of energy and ability to do everything she is in charge of and all the random things that always come up that get in the way of any type of daily routine.
-Energy for me, that I would quickly adjust to everything here & be able to serve in the most ways possible.
-Evert, one of the youngest, that he would be encouraged in his studies & continue to learn so quickly like he already is.

No comments:

Post a Comment