Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sunburns and Mama knows best

Some comic relief if you had a hard day: Below are pics the boys took of me attempting to get out of the 'bouncy tree' limb that I somehow climbed up on...and realizing I can't jump off without the branch smacking me. Also--please note my lobster red sunburn...I have literally never been this sunburnt in my life. I forgot how my 'baseline tan' is now extremely pale since I've been living in rainy Portland...let's just say I stick out like a sore thumb here even more than before. Hah!
Realizing the boys figured out the camera on my phone. 
Smiling although I'm certain I'm about to fall. 

I told my mom the other day that I don't really know how to blog. I could write a full blog post every day of things that happen here that seem crazy to people who aren't familiar with Honduran culture. Or how many times I had to ask each of the 8 boys to do their chores or the number of fights I had to break up. Or how many 'what are the odds of that happening' things that make us come up with a new plan.
And then there are the countless sweet moments I have with these boys. Coming from abusive homes, struggling with addiction to cocaine, some were left to fend for themselves, etc and they fight to heal and to learn and to grow in Christ; knowing that He has such big plans for their lives. And it's a struggle. And it's daily talks with them about changing their ways, having respect for other people, going to school, and having a conscience for other people's well being.
Unfortunately, none of those things were part of their family life before living here with Lisa.

My mom said, "What people really want to know is what your heart is learning in all of it so we can glean a little of it since we can't be there". I guess I hadn't really asked myself that question that directly.
When I look at this whole experience/way of life when I'm here as a person on the outside looking in, I'm learning that anything, and I mean absolutely anything, will give you the sense that you belong & and incredible peace when it's where God wants you. Even when there's stressful days, heartbreak that you never knew before, you have neighbors that are known drug dealers and murders that the police turn a blind eye to, and the culture as a whole is working against what you're trying to do--there is a force greater and more powerful that gives you the energy, abilities and wisdom to carry out His will and continue with what you know you were called there to do.

Me and Gelsin at the beach 
We'll probably lose power soon so I'm cutting this blog post short and posting it while we have electricity and wifi. More to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment