Hello everyone!! So you're probably wondering, what's this new blog all about?? The last post was just a song without any description of the blog...
Well, last summer I went to Honduras, and ever since I left I’ve wanted to go back. (You
can read up on my experience from last summer if you want, at mariemillerblog.blogspot.com)
Well, after months and months of praying, I heard from a friend in that area and
I am going back in November!! So, this will be my blog for my upcoming trip this fall and I will continue to post on it for anything else blog-worthy in the future. :)
So what about this new adventure?
My friend Lisa is a
missionary in the Balfate area and she asked me to help her with running her
ministries and with teaching her foster boys. In November, I will be working with five
of Lisa’s eight foster boys (the ones between the ages of 11 and 13) for six
weeks. I will tutor them in a few subjects (math, computer skills, etc) but my
main focus will be teaching them English,
since this opens so many doors for their future. Lisa’s home started
with three and has now grown to a lively group of eight boys all between the
ages of 11 and 17 years old, all of who grew
up in the streets (or in the dump) of La Ceiba.
Lisa has a heart for raising these
boys to be young men with their feet grounded in the Lord, and to break the
cycle of poverty and the poor choices many of their family members and friends are
making. All of them are in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd
grade at the local elementary school. (This is very common in Honduras to not
start school until your teen years because it is expensive!!) Once a week I will
lead a Bible study for the boys and
encourage them to ask questions and learn more about the Father who loves them
so incredibly much.
But these boys also need to just be loved. And shown how you can have fun without the harmful influences of drugs and the gangs they grew up around. So, once a week I will take Lisa’s truck and we’ll all pile in and have an “Adventure Day”. There are lots of rivers and waterfalls nearby, and of course: the beach to be explored, too! They need to experience some of their childhood like every child should—full of laughs, smiles, and hugs…and just having good, clean fun! J
I will also be going with
Lisa on her visits to the dump in La Ceiba (big city nearby) to help with
serving food and providing basic medical care to the families who live among
the mountain of garbage there.
But what about
school? Aren’t you going to college?!?! Yes. I have been accepted to University
of Portland’s Nursing program and will start this January 2014. Because I have
a few months before school, I am going to serve in Honduras for 6 weeks this fall. Feel free to subscribe to this blog to keep updated on everything going on as I prepare for my trip and while I'm down there! :)
I’m posting this to first and foremost ask for your PRAYER.
Please pray for safety during travel, and also while I
am serving there. Pray for the boys’ hearts that God would fill them with His love and they would
have a hunger for his Word.
And please pray for funds. It will cost about $1,300
in total for me to go on this trip but I know the Lord will provide!!
<<If you would like to support me financially, please make checks payable to New Hope Church with “Balfate Honduras trip” in the memo.
Checks should be sent to 20080 Pinebrook
Blvd. Bend, Oregon 97702. >>
Thanks for reading, and I am excited to share these experiences in Honduras with you!
PS.
And if you haven't listened to it yet, listen to "Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)" by Hillsong United. This is the song that I feel captures where my heart is with this new chapter of my life.
PS.
And if you haven't listened to it yet, listen to "Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)" by Hillsong United. This is the song that I feel captures where my heart is with this new chapter of my life.
Que Dios les bendiga!
No comments:
Post a Comment